Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Disney Part Uno: Downtown Disney

Oh, so much to write...and too much craziness around here to do this fabulous-five-day getaway justice. We had the greatest family vacation ever...every trip to Disney is just better and better. I thought along with the fun, I would share some tips of things that we have learned the hard way... Tip One: Go to Downtown Disney the FIRST night you arrive. Mainly because it's pretty lame for kids after being at one of the parks, but also because it's the best place to go to get names on their ears. I had ears with my name when I was a kid, so I wanted my girls to too, but sometimes the turn-around is a couple of days (they will send it to your hotel). If you go to Downtown Disney to the Christmas store, it's much shorter time (we only waited 45 minutes) but if you had to wait overnight, at least you ordered them on the first day!


Tip Two: Absolutely get the Dining Plan, but maybe not the Deluxe one. (We had 8 left over meals, but had fun buying people breakfast on our last day there.) Book your character meals 4-6 months in advance if you really care... This year we had to match up the night that Magic Kingdom had the light parade to our lunch at Cinderella's castle and dinner with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and friends. Also, we had to match up our breakfast with Little Einsteins and Jo Jo to our dinner at the Italian Place that got us preferred seating (no wait) to Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM). Make reservations at Cap'n Jacks at Downtown Disney the first night you are there...so yummy.

Tip Three: Put all the change you collect in a piggy bank starting now. Then whenever you go, cash it all in and that is how much your kids can spend on whatever they want while you're there. This year they had $60 each, but that was the least amount they've had on our trips there.
By the way, it was hilarious to me that Mik loved Goofy, Stitch and Donald Duck...all the trouble makers! She was kind of over the whole princess thing, which actually made me a little sad.


Tip Four: If your kids are into Legos, they have every color and size at the Lego store at Downtown Disney. My girls LOVE Legos!!! And now they have pink and purple ones!!!!

Tip Five: Don't worry about staying at a deluxe hotel on property. We do stay on property, but at Pop Century or All Star Sports. We don't spend any time in our room anyway. We did pay a little more to get a "preferred room" but only so we didn't have to walk so far to the bus and to the pool. Don't forget to ask for AAA discounts...I actually book through AAA travel...it's free and they do it all for you. If you want my agent, she can book for anyone (not just Georgia friends), and she's awesome.

Tip Six: Don't let your kids run through fountains, ride Splash Mountain or whatever the river ride is at Animal Kingdom until the END of the day, because it's no fun to walk around wet.

I just realized I might sound like a know-it-all, but we just had such an amazing time, and I want to share the love.... so much more to come!

2 comments:

Alli said...

How fun! The last vacation I took was to Disneyland with my little sister in 2006 (thank goodness the honeymoon is on the way) and we had such blast! I never got the ears with my name on them...always felt I was missing out. :D

Davin (said just like david, but with an N)and I met up in Logan at work. I was the cashier at a carwash/detail center up there and he got off his mission in December and ended up back at his old job detailing cars there. First date was in Feb and we've been engaged since April.

I had surgery on my wrist May 30th and he had a nerve in his lower stomach that was pinched. Three weeks later I had my wisdom teeth out. Sucked. Oh well, it's all over with now.

Tauna said...

I love all the tips. It gets me way excited for our trip to Disney World in October! I love all the pictures- you guys look like you had a blast!
congrats on the move. It sure does sound like things have been crazy. I am soooo sorry about everything. They always say they come in three's huh! Hang in there okay!