Thursday, July 22, 2010

Learnin' in South Carolina

As all ten of you that are invited to read my blog know, my girls are one year apart in school.  When I used to blog regularly, there was something that bothered me so much one day when Amelia brought home her first grade reading book.  Then, I stopped blogging and didn't think about it again...until this last year when Mikayla was in first grade and came home with the same story in her reading book. 

It reminded me that I really wanted to blog about it back then, so I'll do it now!

Most children here know NOTHING about the Western part of the United States.  I would even dare say that most will never even visit the west in their lifetime...so when I saw how it was depicted in their first grade reading book, I was shocked!  Amelia had already PROUDLY announced to the class that she is FROM Utah, even though she only lived there until three days after her second birthday.  Well, the kids remembered that, and had LOTS of questions for her when this reading came up:


So now it's official:  every kid in Indian Land, SC (ironic name, I know) officially believes that everyone in New Mexico and Utah lives in clay homes and hogons.  And the craziest part about it is that my dear grandparents have a hogon much like this in front of their Red Canyon Indian Store (for fun), so Amelia got confused by it all and finally just told them that yes, they do indeed have hogons in Utah, and yes, people live in them.

I don't know why I don' t have a picture of it, but when they showed Las Vegas, it was a picture of a pink trailer with a hot pink flamingo in the front yard.  However, when they showed homes in the South, they were beautiful colonial homes...too funny.

No comments: