Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Parent Trap


Dave is out of town; it's FREEZING cold outside and I planned this great Saturday night for me and the girls. We started the fire, popped popcorn and all got snuggly blankies and watched "The Parent Trap." No, not the old one, but the new version with Lindsay Lohan. After about 7 minutes, Amelia started saying she wanted cheese; after 15 minutes, Mikayla wanted water; after 18 minutes, Amelia wanted cereal with milk; after 29 minutes, Amelia started asking questions, "Why is that lady (the dad's fiance) so mean?" "I thought moms and dads only got married one time, so why is the dad marring someone else?" "How are they sisters but they don't live together?" etc., etc. After 32 minutes, Amelia told me she just wanted to read stories upstairs.

I don't know what it is about my kids and TV. Most almost-5-year-olds have their favorite movies and shows...not mine. She likes to watch Arthur in the mornings...sometimes and "A Baby Story" on TLC..sometimes, and that's about it. She has NEVER watched a movie from beginning to end. Nemo scares her because he doesn't have a mom; Cinderella scares her because the sisters are so mean, Toy Story scares her because of Sid and his crazy toys...but more than being scared, I think she just gets bored. Do I have an ADD child?

Anyway, it's still freezing outside and Dave is still gone, but we are just going to decorate the Christmas tree and make cookies, no more "movie nights!"

No comments: