Friday, September 07, 2007

Teachers...and stuff.


My baby started preschool Wednesday. I have to admit, it was not the typical first day. Mikayla is a hard one...she is so sassy and opinionated, flirty and emotional, but she is also so shy and attached to her mama. She has cried every time I drop her off at ballet and holds the teacher's hand the entire hour. It took her seven months to walk out on the gymnastics floor by herself and she also was the only 3 year old at the preschool Mom's Tea that had to be held by the teacher while she twirled the runway. SO, what is a mom to do when she is starting her first day of 4 year old preschool at a brand new school?
Should a mom walk her into class, carrying her camera, giving kisses and hugs and helping her meet friends? NOPE! I actually drove through the carpool line, dropped her off and let one of the teachers get her to class. I felt terrible, but guess what? It worked! I solved the separation anxiety. She walked on in with her friend Bailey that I also drove for carpool that morning and didn't even look back!
But, that's not what my post is about. My post is about teachers. I am so grateful for the good teachers in this world. I am so grateful for the teachers that love the kids and are patient with the kids. I am grateful that both my girls have wonderful teachers this year. I wish they knew how much of a difference they make in not only the life of these sweet little kids, but in the families that these kids come home to.
When I was teaching preschool last year, my assistant teacher and I would always half-way joke to each other (after a child had hit us, threw up or peed on the slide) that "someone loves this kid more than anything else in the world, even as much as we love our kids." It kind of gave us perspective on the whole thing. Anyway, I digress...I'm just happy that there are people out there that love kids and want them to love school and to LEARN and to LOVE TO LEARN.

5 comments:

Chellie said...

yay for school! yay for good teachers!
Glad the girls are doing well!

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine the teacher that gets her for 6th grade!

I can't wait! As a matter of fact I am going to move in with you for a couple months and film her days at school. I'll split the publishing money with you 50-50....but you have to pay for my room and board for a couple o months.

Deal?

MiandMiksmom said...

Dad, I'll have your room ready. I think you'll make a lot of money on the film, so I'll take a cut of that, and I'm sure it will cover your room and board and publishing. So, come on!

Oh, I'm sure they'll do a background check on you before they let you in the preschool door, so you may need to get a fake identity for awhile.

Jessi said...

Emily can't stop talking about "my friend, Mikayla." It was so fun having her come play!

Chellie said...

ok.. surely something else has happened in the last 7 days.... hahaha..

BTW, thanks for your comment. You Rule!