Monday, October 10, 2005

Utah vs. Georgia


When Dave told me we were moving across the country, I had no idea that I would also learn a whole new lingo and way of life!









Utah vs. Georgia

  • Pop vs. Coke (any drink from "sweet tea" to lemonade --it's all "Coke")
  • Shopping cart vs. Buggy (the first time they asked me if I needed help with my buggy, I looked for my baby stroller)
  • The Church (LDS religion) vs. The Church (Georgia football)
  • 12 inches of snow (life goes on) vs. 1/2 inch of sleet/snow (all schools, business and roads close down)
  • 30% chance of rain (don't even bother with an umbrella) vs. 30% chance of rain (wake up an hour earlier to pack umbrellas, rain boots, a hat and leave early to face the grid lock rainy day traffic and know that a complete downpour will happen around 3PM)
  • "It's a long drive to the grocery store" (have to actually get in a car to drive two blocks down to the nearest Smith's) vs. "It's a long drive to the grocery store" (use Mapquest to map out the nearest route to a Kroger which is still fifteen minutes from home on one highway and three different roads)
  • 948 W. 1400S S. (use the grid system and find a home in two minutes) vs. 4589 Glenhaven Drive (once again, use Mapquest and hope that the neighborhood actually is a paved road--not just a gravel road that the neighbors all paid to put in and then wind your way through backwoods and countless trees and hope for the best)
  • Rambler vs. Ranch
  • 30 minute commute (a terribly long drive each day that takes exactly the 30 minutes) vs. "30 minute commute" (that's just to get out of the neighborhood onto the nearest highway to then get stuck in traffic and drive 20 miles to work, taking approximately 45 minutes --if you're lucky)
  • 4 kids under the age of 8 (not so unusual) vs. 2 kids under the age of 8 ("Wow! How do you do it? You must be crazy! I could never handle it!")
  • Barbecue vs. Cook Out
  • Swimming Suit vs. Bathing Suit
  • Mountains vs. Mountains (the small, leafy tree covered hills, but just ask anyone...they are REAL mountains)
  • Jesse's Mom (the title kids give to their friends' moms) vs. Miss Stephanie (every woman over the age of 16, whether married or not is given the title "Miss")
  • Ya, sure vs. Yes Ma'am
  • Oh my heck (gosh, dang, shoot, dude, etc.) vs. Just Say it!
  • Ill (sick) vs. Ill (cranky, crabby and ornery)
  • Mow the Lawn vs. Cut the Grass

I think I'm finally getting it all down. I make mistakes and get confused sometimes, but it's quite the adventure! Hey, I'll add to the list as I remember more...there are tons!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you wrote those down, Chaun. I was laughing so hard.