Friday, December 16, 2005

I learn a lot from TV


Okay, I'm an Apprentice junky. I love that show. But guess what? I learn a lot from it too. Remember the whole Toral-Rebecca episode? For those of you that don't watch, let me give you a quick run-down. Toral is a complete mess and everyone on the team agreed. However, Rebecca (who I love) saw something in her and fought for her in the boardroom. She said something like, "I know she's good and she'll prove it on the next task." She totally stuck her neck out for her.

Fast forward one week: Toral was a complete disaster on the next task and shunned her duties as the Dairy Queen spokesperson. In the boardroom that week, Rebecca ended up in hot water because she had sang Toral's praises the week before. What did she do? She admitted she made a mistake and agreed that Toral did not live up to what she had said. She could have been fired over the whole thing, but she showed loyalty and then showed honesty by admitting her mistake.

Well, I've been working for a school that is a complete disaster. I don't even want to go into everything because it's just too much to write, but I stuck by it for four months because it was my duty, I thought I was doing best for my kids and I was being loyal. After the true colors became more and more vivid, I recognized my mistake and quit today. We had our huge Christmas play and I handed the head-mistress my letter of resignation right after the play and walked out. I don't know where Amelia is going to go to school now; I don't know how I am going to pay for my house full of new furniture (that my hefty drama check was covering), but frankly, I don't give a damn. That school is the worst thing I've ever stepped foot in or actually even heard of. I'm proud of myself for standing up for what I believe in and looking out for my kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you just up and quit! It takes a lot of courage...hopefully someday soon, I'll get the whole scoop! Good luck finiding another school for Amelia...I am sure you will find an awesome one.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stood up for yourself. YOU were the best thing that school has ever seen... I wouldn't put it past them, but it's possible they almost felt threatened by your abilities.
Just a thought. LoVe Ya.