Sunday, June 18, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Bed

The first bed I really remember is my twin bed when I was eight years old. It had a beautiful, pink Holly Hobbie bedspread. I remember fluffing the pillows and making it every day. That was also the year I changed my name to Olivia.

The next bed I had was a queen-size water bed hand-me-down that I inherited in high school. I picked out an awesome periwinkle and navy blue bedspread and then found wallpaper and paint to match. I decorated the entire room by myself.

By the time my senior year rolled around, I was ready to have a little more room, or maybe the waterbed sprung a leak...I don't remember. But, I got rid of it and bought a little white iron daybed.

Next came the horrible, stinky bed I slept on in college in the dorm. I remember my roommate and I trying to rearrange our beds, but there was really no room. Our feet would touch in the night. It was especially difficult when Dave would come to "visit" and we had to pretend that she wasn't there...or maybe she pretended we weren't there. HOWEVER, we would "knock boots" literally...with my roommate.

Oh, the next bed I love. It was our first purchase we made together. It was a four-poster queen size bed and I cried when we paid for the mattress. It was so expensive during our married college days! I decorated it in burgundy and forest green. We put that bed to good use during the next seven years of marriage!

Now, my bed is my haven. I splurged on ridiculously expensive sheets three years ago. I have a delightfully plush crimson bedspread with matching pillows. We "upgraded" to a king when we moved to Georgia and realized that moving across the country with a confused two-year-old and two month old meant our bed would have an extra twenty tiny toes snuggled between us. Actually, the toes never ended up between us. They ended up in my ribs, in my hair or my backbone.

After some bribery and rough nights, we finally convinced the girls (a year later) to sleep together in their own room. Amelia crawled into Mikayla's crib every night and they nestled together. Today, they still sleep in the same bed, although our crib is long gone.

I love my bed...it is the place where I can finally relax after a crazy day. It is the place that Dave and I can be TOGETHER...no, not that...just ALONE, TOGETHER. Good Night.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I always have loved the name olivia...

love your scribbling, too.

Anonymous said...

Sweet and fun memories!!

Kim G. said...

A very fun look at the history of beds in your life! Sounds like your current one is the best. I love the picture of the twenty extra toes in your ribs and back and hair! Too cute!:)

D said...

I remember when you left for college and I got your room AND the white iron daybed. I thought I was soooo cool for having a basement bedroom.

Your bed now really is the most comfortable bed in the world.

Chellie said...

I totally remember all of these beds... and the colors and comforters! I bought a king when I was 20 and never looked back... it's the ONLY way to go... the mattress and bedding is worth the investment... I keep telling Damien that when he reminds me how much I spent on the bedding alone. You figure you spend a good part of your life on your bed... so you might as well make it worth it. This was fun to read and I can't believe I remember it all!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your newest bed is "just right."

Lyrically speaking said...

very nice read about your bed

Anonymous said...

I too remember you iron day bed! I so wanted it! Yes - a king is the way to go these days! I also have 20 little toes in my face, back and nose! Luckily - not every night - Ethan most always stays in his crib - but Brayden - he has been coming into my bed since he was a baby - when he was little and I was single, I always felt so guilty becuase I was gone working and at school. So night time, was the only real time to be together we had - so he slept with me. - Now he is 10 and he still makes his way in our bed! I used to feel bad about it until I heard that Billy Dean song "Let them be Little" - you know, where he says - "let them sleep in the middle". Alex and I were at his concert at USU when he sang that song for the first time - before it was on the radio - and we both just wanted to cry! Ever since then - we don't make a fuss about it. They grow up way to fast!

MiandMiksmom said...

Jayme, that story is so cute...and I agree. Now you need to update your blog!!!!

D said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG. SERIOUSLY.