Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Music

I had a million things run through my mind when I was pondering this week's topic: music. I started thinking about the music I grew up with...ya know, total "rocker" music (thanks, Dad). Then I thought of my little country kick and alternative and even my switch to hip hop right now. However, when I REALLY started to think about music, I thought about my violin.

When I was eight, a man visited our fourth grade class and told us we were now old enough to learn an instrument and be in the school orchestra. I immediately wanted to do it. I didn't know anyone who played the violin; I had never heard the violin and I wasn't even exactly sure what one was, but it sounded fun, and I wanted to try.

One thing about my mom and dad is that they always encouraged whatever we wanted to do, so my mom rented me a violin and I joined the school orchestra. Well, I actually had talent. I picked it up very quickly and it was then that my true love of music blossomed. My mom soon got me a private teacher and by tenth grade a very expensive violin, and it was something that I loved.

The thing is, the violin is something that I can now look back on and see all the benefits. At the time, I was "naturally gifted" as my teacher said. In all truth, I probably had more natural talent with music than dance, but I never took it very seriously and danced more than practiced the violin. The violin gave me something different. None of my very best friends played in the orchestra, and it was something that I did because I wanted to do, and I was good at it. I learned the works of Tchaikovsky and Copland, Handel and Suzuki...even the fiddle! I should have focused more energy on it. I could play anything by ear and I never really had to practice...but if I would have, I think I could have been great.

I took it pretty far...I played all through high school and our high school orchestra went to a national competition in Oregon and WON! I also played in college in the Southwest Symphony and in Dixie College Chamber Orchestra. It was always second to whatever else I had going on, but I still loved it. I'm lucky now if I pull my violin out more than once a year at Christmas. I'm rusty and last time I played at church, it was horrible, but I will always be grateful that I played.

Learning music and finger/bow coordination made me smarter...really. Connections were made in my brain and it seems like it helped many aspects of my life. But, I also remember lying back on the grass and listening to Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for Strings" after a long bike ride and just crying. The music was beautiful and I knew how important it was to me. It was so much more than my Van Halen or Madonna...it was MUSIC...and I loved it.

11 comments:

paris parfait said...

Beautiful post - I love learning how someone is influenced by music, especially to play an instrument. My daughter learned to play the violin really well, but later decided she just didn't have the time to devote to it in Europe.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though music has been a big part of your life - even if your violin did come second, at least you'll always have it there!

Thankyou for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love that you played the violin! I always thought you were (were/are!) so smart to be able to play in the orchestra, do drill team and get such good grades. Music really does make a big difference in our learning! I think Brayd is going to learn the violin in orchestra at school next year. Fun! Great post.

all alli. said...

I forgot you played the violin. I wish I was more musicly talented. It's definatly not one of my strengths. I hope you had fun camping!

Annie Jeffries said...

I encourage you to get that beautiful instrument out more often. Take it outside. Stroll around with it. Start in the backyard, walk around the block, go to the park. Your fingers will LOVE it.

Jessi said...

You are such a gifted writer. I love the way you communicate your thoughts. You always have an interesting perspective to share.

Chellie said...

Love this post, Chaun! It's awesome you always stuck with it!

all alli. said...

i finally posted a picture...

D said...

I have very distinct memories of you braiding my hair in your room while we listened to Madonna. And you and Dave have both instilled a great love and appreciation for both Dave Lee-era Van Halen and Sammy-era Van Halen. I just want to thank-you for that.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info dierks bentley lot of leavin left to do tamiflu football tickets Buspar yahoo postale Tarutao and sex State farm auto insurance lawton oklahoma free mobile phone polyphonic ringtones free http://www.dance-partner-7.info/floppydiskundeletewindows2000floppydisk.html

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Valtrex or acyclovir new dodge