Friday, June 09, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Mystery

"In life more often than not, mysteries stay mysteries. You have to make peace with not knowing. So my question is, if you could have ANY mystery unveiled for you, what would it be? It can be cosmic, personal, political, whatever. What deep unanswered or even unanswerable question would you want to have revealed for your eyes only? What do you dearly want to KNOW? Also, if you want, what would your prefer never to know? What would best remain a mystery?"


This week's writing prompt hits a little to close to home right now, so I'm going to keep it light and not go deep...not ready for that one yet...


The mysteries of my life:
Why do fingerprints seem to only show up on the window right after you have JUST cleaned them?
Why do little girls wake up earlier than usual when they go to bed later than usual?
Why does Dave insist on keeping a pile of clothes, shoes and belts on the floor next to the bed?
Why is the guest bathroom toilet so hard to flush?
Why do I have a crack in the drywall next to my fireplace that keeps reappearing?
Why do my kids fight when they are together but miss each other fiercely when they are apart?
Why do we always have the right amount of money...just enough --without a lot of extra, no matter how much money we make?
Why does Utah produce so many beautiful girls and incredible dancers? (If you watch "So You Think You Can Dance" and others, you know what I'm talking about.
Why do my girls insist on snacking the entire time they are at the pool...and yes, I stopped bringing snacks but they just find them elsewhere. I then just brought broccoli and peanut butter and they downed the entire bag.
Why are some people so judgmental?
Why do my kids act like angels for others, but not for me?
Why do I now have to shave my legs every single day?
Why do some people insist on living in the dark when the truth is so easy to see?
Why is Depression so rampant in America today?
Why are there rock bands in so many churches today and why do they use certain brands of coffee to draw new members?
Why do lighting bugs insist on flying so high when my girls take a two hour nap so they can stay up late to catch them?
Why do my kids have such big feet?
How do my girls look so different from each other?
Why am I spending my Friday night writing this post?????????????


I think most of these mysteries will indeed stay a mystery, but they are mysteries, nonetheless. As for the deeper mystery I've been contemplating over the last two years, that I'm afraid will also stay a mystery.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, mysteries indeed. Nice one!

Chellie said...

Great questions... and real life mysteries. Some things we will just never know the answers for. Loved this one!

NuttersNotes said...

Excellent...especially the rock bands and coffee at church. It's what drove me to home church....and I like rock bands and coffee!

Annie Jeffries said...

I sense deep sadness here. Very sorry.

MiandMiksmom said...

I didn't even feel sadness writing this...very odd. Maybe I have ISSUES!!!

Ian russell said...

ah, i think you've steered a perfect course between poignant and light, there's humour here, also an underlying sadness but it shows you possess true life balance. it's an enjoyable read, i liked it a lot.

i learnt something new about church music and coffee.

Colorsonmymind said...

Fun-light post-

Why do fingerprints show up right after I clean the glass?

Sort of know this answer but it still feels like a mystery.

Anonymous said...

Your just jealous that your church doesn't have good music and won't let you drink coffe:) but we still love you even though you don't see all the things that your church uses to draw people in with. It's all In how you look at things. But to answer your Mystery It's because we like good coffee and love to hear great soulfull music no Mystery.