Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My Dad

My dad is the greatest. Because it's his birthday (in two days), I wanted to share some thoughts about him. Reading the book "Why a daughter Needs a Dad" reminded me of just how much I love him.

A daughter needs a dad to learn that when he says it will be okay soon, it will. My dad always put things in perspective for me.

A daughter needs a dad who will make sacrifices so she will not have to sacrifice. I can't even begin to describe the sacrifices my dad made on my behalf. He is one of the most unselfish people I have ever known.

A daughter needs a dad to teach her that her value as a person is more than the way she looks. My dad always focused on brains. I did well in school because of him. He made me wonder about the world and was NEVER too busy to engage in serious talks about everything from boys to God.

A daughter needs a dad who will never think she is too old to need him. I can't let a week go by without talking to my dad. Sometimes I have nothing to say, but I just need to hear his voice.

A daughter needs a dad to make the family whole and complete. This could not be more true in my family's situation.

A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men. I measured every boy I dated to my dad. Dave is the only one that made the cut. :)

A daughter needs a dad who will influence her life even when he isn't with her. My dad influences my life every day.

A daughter needs a dad to tuck her in at night. My dad is the reason I love books. He read until we fell asleep. But he not only read to us, I have memories of crying because my legs hurt so bad from growing pains, and he would sit with me until it didn't hurt anymore.

A daughter needs a dad to protect her when she is not wise enough to protect herself. Dixie College, enough said.

A daughter needs a dad to help her take the risks that will build her confidence. From sports, to college, to marriage, he helped me weigh the risks, and then go for it.

A daughter needs a dad to teach her that a man's strength is not the force of his hand or his voice, but the kindness of his heart. My dad didn't have to say much, I always knew if he would be disappointed, and I never wanted to let him down.

A daughter needs a dad to help her try again whenever she fails. From high school cheerleader failure, to succeeding at college dance team...I dared try again.

A daughter needs a dad to give her the gentle pushes that help her grow. He even coached softball, just so I'd give it a try.

A daughter needs a dad to show her how to fix things for herself. I am independent and can fix anything, from crazy emotions to a broken toy...not to mention small repairs around the house, because of my dad.

A daughter needs a dad because without him she will have less in her life than she deserves.
Thanks Dad! Happy Dir-Bay, Leprechaun, Easter, Christmas!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chaun-Waun!!! i need to talk to you about coming down and such! So next time you call the house, ask for me or somthing and we will figure somthing out.

MiandMiksmom said...

Okay Josh...but here I spill my heart out about Ricky Sixx, so you have to at least comment about that. Anyway, I will call you today after school so we can make plans.

Chellie said...

Josh- I can't wait for you to come here again too! You get to see Ryk play basketball!

And not to overlook the tribute because of little bro visiting big "doings" houses... it was great!
I love Daddy-O too and I ditto everything you said, but for different reasons of course! :)

Anonymous said...

okay sorry! i was just so excited about figuring out how to post Comments, yes of course i love dad! and everything you said is so true! i wish you two could see him with this new computer, its been such a good time.

Anonymous said...

Dad is the most awesome person in the world. I think I'm pretty lucky. What a great post about him. It is so true.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I love daddy-o!!! Good post, Chaun.

Happy Early Dir-bay, Da! I'll give you your birthday swirly when I come up in the morning.

Jessi said...

That is so beautiful!! What a wonderful tribute to your dad and all the great fathers out there.

Anonymous said...

So Sweet! Thanks, Hon...I love you too. You just made this the best Dir-bay ever:)

Greg said...

Hi Mia & Mik's Mom:

Thanks for mentioning my book; I'm glad your Dad is such an awesome father for you!

Gregory E. Lang

Greg said...

Oh, BTW - I'm working on a new book about father and daughter relationships (see my blog). Email me if you'd like to participate. Thanks!