Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Best Buds


It is so hard to move away from family for a lot of reasons, but one of the hardest is not having any help with the kids. I mean, I'm happy to call a teenager for a date night, but to go to the dentist in the middle of the day, to rush Amelia to the hospital in the middle of the night and then go back for tests (and not drag Kayla along) and to just give me a break, I would have no one....if it it weren't for

Steph and Marla.

It's not just about helping me with my kids though, they are my family away from Utah (and Dallas and Phoenix) and I really don't know what I would do without them. They do help me out with my kids all the time (even though both of their families are here, so they never really need the favor returned.) I love how we can talk for hours about everything and never run out of things to say. We hang out pretty much every day and our kids are the best of friends.

I've thought a lot about it and we don't have that much in common...different backgrounds, families, religions, discipline styles, dress, hair, occupations, education, etc., etc. but somehow I have found the two dearest friends in the world. I also know how weird it is to meet best friends over the age of 30, but they are two of the best friends I've ever had in my whole life.

I love that we are neighbors and can call on each other any time. I love that we pop over at each other's houses to eat dinner, hang out or just sit and watch TV. I love that they understand when I'm lonely because Dave is late and they just appear. I love that they are adventurous and love to do fun things. I love that they like to hang out as much as I do. I love that even though we have a lot of differences, we learn from each other and I think that's why we have become such great friends. I just love them!

We took the kids (Kaitlyn is almost 4, Jesse is almost 5, and then my Amelia who is almost 5 and Kayla who is almost 3) up to a cabin for the weekend. The guys love to hang out and the kids love to hang out. It gives the three of us time to just get away from it all. We had a great time and at one point during the weekend, as I was curled up on the couch with a book and the kids were playing in the basement while Steph and Jerry were cooking breakfast, I stopped to think that at that moment, there was nowhere I'd rather be and no one I'd rather be with...what a great feeling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so happy you have great friends to hang with! I wish we lived close to we could hang too! miss you...

Chellie said...

Awesome Chaun! Good friends are important... no matter how old we are! I lived here for 5 years without even seeing family... and they never came here either! It's great to have other people around that may not be "family" but are the closest thing to it. You guys need to move to Dallas or Phoenix...

Anonymous said...

BACK AT YA BABE!!! We feel the same way about you too.

Chaun is great because she is always there for Kaitlyn. Whenever I am coming home late from work, she always walks over and checks on Doug (my husband) and helps him out. Last night she made them dinner!! (The pudding was fabulous)
She even picks up Kailtyn from school sometimes and the girls get to play longer than usual. FUN TIMES...

LOVE YA!!!