Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: The Inner Life of Pets

It all started one morning when these guys came and took us out of our home in Hurricane, Utah that we had been working on for months. They stuck us in a little tube and put the tube in an envelope. The next thing we knew, we were in a very hot, dark place for about four days. We ended up in a mailbox in Cumming, Georgia.

This really nice, beautiful lady came and rescued us. She put us in the fridge for 10 minutes, which was pretty shocking and actually pretty rude. However, she carefully dumped us in to this sand habitat. Now I have these two little girls that come and watch every move we make...every tunnel we dig, every grain of sand we carry. They bring all their grubby-fingered friends to come and see us. They feed us and give us water. They really love us. We are pretty happy, although our life expectancy was drastically decreased, but with the good care we are getting, we think we will live longer than out in the wild, even in this hot and humid environment. Well, we better sign off. We have tunnels to dig and work to be done.

9 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Oh, this is lovely. I've always wanted an ant farm, too, and it sounds as if your kids are really learning in a fun way, which will increase their thirst for knowledge even more. Nice twist on the post...and you just gave me an idea...I wonder if anyone out there is gonna write from a "Pet Rock" perspective (okay, I'm dating myself).

Peace,
FC

TMTW said...

How neat! I didn't realize they still had ant farms.

wendy said...

A very original view. I never had one...I kinda wished I did....

Unknown said...

This is a really neat idea!

Rachel Grynberg said...

Neat. I love how ants work together. How nice that the ants are so loved.

LB said...

Wonderful take on the theme. I love that you think of the ants as pets - most people won't give insects that much credit, however much they might deserve it.

all alli. said...

Brit and I had an ant farm once. I think they all lived for like, 20 minutes. I still can't imagine what we might have done to kill off a colony of ants...

Jessi said...

McKenna asks almost every day for a pet. I wonder how she would like some ants??

Chellie said...

I do ants! and as they die, you can replace them and no one will notice. I hope it doesn't get knocked off that table!