Monday, August 20, 2007

Girl Stuff

I always wanted to have boys. I have no idea why...I was a girly-girl growing up. I loved my Barbie dolls until I was fifteen. I loved playing jump rope, dolls (of all kinds), dressing up, every genre of dance, etc. My dad tried to toughen us up. I took golf and tennis lessons. He coached soccer and softball, just so I'd play. The problem was...I had already danced for six years before I tried sports, and I wasn't very good.


(My Girly-Girls)


Fast forward to high school...I was still a girly girl. Dance ruled my life, but I was an OUTDOORSY girl. I still wasn't that great at sports, but I was the official family lawn girl and then I found mountain biking, camping, hiking and white-water river rafting...and I was hooked. I am sure I was the only Dixie Rebelette that spent the weekends biking "the loop" with all the dorm boys and pursuing a degree in secondary teaching, but dreaming of giving it all up to be a river guide on the Snake. (Guess what? I still do.)
(These are photos from the High School Musical 2 Party that I had...yet, another "girl thing" THAT I LOVED!)


Anyway, I digress... I wanted BOYS. When Amelia came along, I was so happy to have my long-awaited baby, that I didn't care that she was a girl. Then, I got pregnant again, and I wanted A BOY! And then my sweet Mikayla came along. Well, I just knew that they would be athletic and tomboyish and would NEVER dance or heaven forbid, become a cheerleader. Well, it didn't happen. Now, my girls love camping, getting dirty, and just tonight Amelia picked a roach out of the gutter just to hold it, but they LOVE everything else girl...dress ups, make up, fashion, dance, and yes, cheerleading. Sigh...what's a mother to do?

But, I have a secret to tell...I love being a mom to girls. I love it all. I get exasperated by it all, but man, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll take it all...the make up that has permanently stained the playroom carpet, the whining and crying, the fashion problems we have each morning, and the fact that my daughters would rather be cheering than playing. I love it...because I love them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're so cute! What's not to love?

LC

Anonymous said...

I am just the opposite of you b/c I always wanted girls. They are so fun to dress and hang with. Just wait, the fun has just begun! Boys do add a lot of excitement though & I love them too for all their testosterone(sp?)! Nanette

Jessi said...

I love girls, too. Every once in a while I think about the possibility of having a boy someday and I don't think I'd even know what to do. (Of course not having to mess with bows might be nice for a change).

Chellie said...

I think we all just love what we are given... make sense? Everyone thinks their situation is the best one and I think it's supposed to be like that!

I love to dance and bike and hike, and I always wanted boys, but I am grateful to have a girl! I feel blessed to experience them both!

You are a wonderful mother to your girls.

Dave Riddle said...

I would like little girls, especially if they were as cute as those. Unfortunatly, I have so much man in me, it is scientifically impossible for me to create anything other than a man child. :) Plus If I had little girls and they looked like me instead of my wife, that would make for some ugly little girls.