Sunday, August 26, 2007

Something New

Okay, so I'm taking Lucky Candice's advice, and posting about something new. I am going to apologize in advance that it's still not very deep, BUT at least it's something new.

First, I wanted to post a YUMMY, easy recipe that is on our menu weekly:

Newman's Casserole:
1 lb. ground beef
Whole Wheat Pasta
Bag of Frozen Broccoli
Spaghetti Sauce (we use Prego Traditional)
Grated Cheese (we use mild cheddar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown hamburger. While it's browning, boil water in two separate pots for the broccoli and pasta. Drain grease from burger and pour a little spaghetti sauce in there and let simmer for a minute or two. Drain pasta and broccoli; make sure the water is gone or it will make it runny. Put hamburger on the bottom of the casserole dish. Then layer the broccoli and pasta (mixed together). Pour more sauce on top of that (a lot!) and then cover with grated cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Second, I have some advice that was passed on to me by my cousin Nan who has six young kids: Do one load of laundry every day and fold it and put it away each day. Then it never is overwhelming. I know that seems simple, but I am a schedule girl:

Sunday: coupons and grocery list
Monday: floors; wash all towels
Tuesday: grocery shop
Wednesday: Major cleaning of one section of the house (on a rotation)
Thursday: wash all bedding
Well, I used to only do laundry on Mondays and Thursdays (when I do the towels and bedding). That left me with a mountain of laundry that I dumped on my bed and folded and put away for hours once the kids were in bed. Now I still have a little more on Mondays and Thursdays, but doing one load a day is NO big deal and it has made my life easier.

Let me know if you have advice! And, let me know if you try my recipe!


Okay, that's it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go w/ the laundry thing! I used that in my lesson today on procrastination and I think I had a lot of strange looks but it really works, huh? 15 min. a day is a lot better then one whole day. (I also have a day of lots of whites w/ the extras) I'm going to try this recipe too! thanks! Nanette

Dave Riddle said...

Can I substitute the ground beef with ground raccoon? We got a lot of coons out here, just cant afford that fancy beef. I would think that being in the south you could appreciate the substitution.

And one way that I save time doing laundry is just wear the same set of clothes every day. If they get too dirty I just turn them inside out.

MiandMiksmom said...

Hey, Dave...actually, my kids do the same thing with their clothes, underwear too.

And ya, Here in the South, we all much enjoy some racoon in a dish, 'specially when we're cookin' out. It might fine be a grand substitution. Y'all let me know how it works out.

Chellie said...

I think I make some sort of variation to that recipe. cool.

Good ideas. I make a list of things that need to be done and prioritize it and then divide it up monday thru friday. I also have set days to do certain things. It works great for me.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am trying the laundry thing and it's working out pretty good. I'll need to try the recipe for dinner this week. Thank you thank you!

LC

Jessi said...

I'm a Monday and Thursday laundry girl, too. I'll have to try the one-load-a-day method. If it works for your cousin and her 6 kids I'm sure it'll work for us!

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm cool!

Anonymous said...

i am totally going to try your recipe and i sooo wish i could keep a schedule the way you do! you are amazing. did you know we have a 15 year reunion on the 15th? crazy....i need to call you. i am such a slacker....love you.

WX Ences said...

I've just caught up on all your posts...I've been so bad this past month! I absolutely LOVED the one about your 'privacy windows'!! It made me lol! I often wonder how much of my life is on showcase to my neighbors?!? I suppose I will never know because I would never ask...it's better that way!
I am way excited to try the recipe. I have some good ones I'll have to post.
-Audri

Dave Riddle said...

Since you titled this blog something new perhaps you could write something new. This blogs like 2 months old.