Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kindergarten!

My baby started kindergarten yesterday. Seriously, how in the world can a mom be expected to thrust her child into the classroom of a stranger and leave her for EIGHT HOURS, five days a week and just trust that she's in good hands and that she'll be okay? It about gives me a nervous breakdown, seriously. Does this mean the time has finally come that others will have more influence on her than I do?

Okay, so she was excited, and Dave and I both walked her into her classroom and she ran ahead of us and sat down before we got to the door. She wouldn't hold my hand and she was all smiles, so I guess that means she's happy. But after school she was exhausted. She didn't talk a whole lot and just told me that they took away the folders Aunt Chellie gave her and that the kids kept stepping on her shoes. But then she told me she had a great day.

While she was gone, Mikayla got some one-on-one time with Mom that she desperately needed and the girls got a break from each other. I got so much done around the house and still had a BLAST with Mikayla. Here she is helping me peel potatoes for dinner.

I checked Amelia's schedule on the fridge at least every fifteen minutes, just to see what she was doing. I missed her like crazy! BUT, from the second she got home, I had nothing to do, except for hold her, love her and go into the playroom and tickle her back and watch the movie with her.

I know she'll do great. I know the kids will love her as much as her preschool friends did. I know the teachers will see what a good girl she is, but for now I'm sending her off to the unknown, and I'm not sure she's too happy about it, or me either.

5 comments:

MiandMiksmom said...

BTW, Yes, I posted this at 3:25AM...I can't sleep. And, thank you Jessi for the darling headband that Amelia stole from me to complete her first day ensemble.

Jessi said...

I was wondering how things went for you yesterday. Glad to hear it was mostly a success. It is so hard sending your kids away to school. Thankfully my girls have had good teachers so far. That makes all the difference. (And Amelia looks SO cute in the headband!)

Dave Riddle said...

I would start right now checking her belongings for dope. I started my first day of Kindergarten. Just couldn't handle the peer pressure. I wouldn't worry too much, Utah schools are a lot rougher than those southern schools. I was in a gang by the time I was 7. But they just wanted me to join because I was good with a bow staff.

Chellie said...

Happy kindergarten! She looks adorable.
Also, Aunt Chel is going to reign down on those southern folk if they don't give her back her folders.

Anonymous said...

It is so nuts. I felt the same way - that Emily was spending her day with a bunch of strangers. But then they get used to it, and so do you. Now I actually look forward to school starting because I know it will be okay.

Very cute.

LC