Friday, October 19, 2007

When I was 16

When I was sixteen (1990), very few of my friends had cars. I wanted my own car bad. One weekend we droved down to St. George. My granddad (who has since passed on) insisted that I learn how to drive a stick. It was seriously the hardest thing ever for me. We drove to this old abandoned road just past the Nevada border in a 1986 Volkswagen Dasher, and then he said, "Okay, we trade." So, I traded places, and I was horrible, and he was patient. And I struggled, and he was patient. And I got frustrated, and he was patient. My granddad wasn't always a patient man, but I remember vividly how patient he was that day.

Anyway, I got the hang of it, and he let me drive back to Bloomington. I remember being so happy to be on I-15...none of that stop and go business. Anyway, when we pulled into the driveway, he said, "Now that you know how to drive it, it's yours."

This isn't a picture of MY car. I'm too lazy to pull out my scrapbook and scan the picture in. But, it looked similar to this, except it was silver and a DIESEL. It was the coolest car ever. I think we had a record of fitting 18 kids in there coming home from a game one night. Anyway, it's a great memory I have of my granddad, and of high school.

3 comments:

Chellie said...

The dasher was bad-A**!

Not as cool as the car Granddad gave me though... although yours was more reliable.

Jessi said...

What a cool story! That's one to pass down to YOUR grandkids. (Of course then they may expect a car, too.) :)

WX Ences said...

That is the best Granddad story!! I love it.
I also LOVED your story about annoying moms! I know exactly who you are talking about and they drive me bananas. It is at times like that I wish I were a stronger person and could walk up to them and put them firmly in their place. I'm a big chicken though and would just sit there and take it....tragic.
Anyhow, I'm glad to hear it bothers someone else. I'm all for raising children however you feel is best, but don't judge other people for raising their kids differently.
Think about it, what if that poor mom had wanted to breastfeed but couldn't get her milk in? Or what if she had some serious health risk that prevented her from breastfeeding? There is no way for them to know that.
Oh, well. I suppose this is when we tell ourselves that everyone will get what's coming to them eventually...
You're the best and I love reading your blog!