Saturday, January 28, 2006

It's Really Not Okay


Okay, so there are a lot of things here in the south that I've had to get used to. For example, Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise Sandwiches (seriously) and phrases like "I'm fixin' " as in "I'm fixin' to grill out; would y'all like to come on?"

However, there is one thing I'm not used to...it's the racist attitudes of pretty much everyone I know. Friends say things, and I am seriously so offended that I can barely speak, but I'm also sitting there thinking, "what century does she live in...do people really still think that way?" I will admit when I was in Utah, people would say things OCCASIONALLY and I usually fought it a little and said something, but I will also admit that it made me just think less of the person being racist...I mean, every group of people has jerks, but you can't label a group based on one thing...like skin color. I really thought people who were racist were not very intelligent...(yes, I judge) I mean how can you read the books out there and learn the history and still be racist? The thing is, in Utah there aren't a lot of people of ANY color, so I think a lot of the racist attitudes there are because people have never even SEEN a black person, let alone had a neighbor, co-worker or friend who is black.

Okay, so what's the rationale here? There are people of every color here and I've never met more racist people in my life. They aren't even saying things to be mean...they just state things seriously in every-day converation. It is soooooooooo annoying, and I can't even say anything because THEY DON'T GET IT!

Now for those of you (all three of you who read my blogs) that have extra time on your hands, look up Forsyth County in Georgia. (Oprah even did a show from here to talk about the last blatantly racist county in the USA.) It is terribly racist, so I'm sure I'm seeing things about as bad as they get, but frankly I'm just annoyed.

By the way, the picture I posted on this is of our friend's daughter (Dave's best friend at work). I invited her to spend her Spring Break here so we could do some fun things...the looks we got from neighbors was absolutely crazy...not to mention the things that were said to us and about us. Hmmmmm, can't wait to invite her again this year!

1 comment:

D said...

Zero tolerance for racism is something YOU taught ME and I'm so grateful for it. I can remember moments when you had to scold dad for saying something out of line! I don't understand the mindset, and I'm curious to know why they dislike blacks. Is it any other race besides caucasian?? Do you know why they feel this way? I'd like you to write more sometime about this.