Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sticky Situations


So, I was reading a friend's blog about sticky situations, and I was reminded of a few of mine:

Dave's office Christmas party was at the new Georgia Aquarium. It was a big family deal that they did instead of a fancy couples party at a hotel. Well, I went to Banana Republic and bought a cute sweater and wore it proudly. About a week later, I wore the sweater again and kept rubbing my arm against something. I looked down and saw the size sticker STILL ATTACHED to the sweater. It proudly said "size L" about six times on a long vertical striped sticker down the front of the sweater. The irony is, it really was a "sticky situation!"

This one is so not-funny, but very awkward: Dave has played softball for as long as I have known him. He was on the same team for about eight years and we were the couple that had been married the longest. We watched the younger guys meet and then marry even younger girls and it was getting harder and harder to find things in common with girls ten years younger than me while sitting watching the guys play ball. Finally, one of the girls says to me, "Hey, so-and-so tells us that you were on college dance team...so was I." Relieved that I finally had some common ground, I told them that indeed, I was. They went on to ask me about Jan Whittaker (who at the time of my old age was the rival HIGH SCHOOL advisor). I told them what I thought and she responded, "Wow, that is just so cool that you were on Crimson Line." I was like, "Yeah." Then it dawned on me...Crimson Line????? That is the U of U drill team NOT the Dixie College drill team. Jan Whittaker had moved up in the world and was now a university advisor and now ALL the young softball wives thought I was a former CRIMSON LINE girl. They kept asking me questions and I was all flustered and then it got past the point that I could tell them that it was all a big mistake...anyway, you get the picture...it went on and on.

My feisty, spirited youngest daughter had left the house and cut across the backyards to go to my friend's house who informed me later that as our other friend had come to pick up her FOUR MONTH OLD BABY, Mikayla pointed to her stomach and said, "You have a BABY in there!" (She actually said the same thing to me the next day and said it to my friend Marla's thin-as-a-rail mother, but of course she wasn't there to hear that she is pretty much saying it to any woman because she figured out that that's where babies are "stored.")

I have so many more, but one last one for now...I was ten years old and felt at least 16 because I was on a trip by MYSELF with my Grandma to HAWAII eating in some glass restaurant overlooking the entire island when the waitress asked me if I wanted Horseradish with my steak. I of course ordered the way my Grandmother did and replied, "Yes, please." She in turn replied, "Wow, what grown up taste!" I then felt at least 17 years old and sat up a little taller. When my scrumptious steak was served I took one bite and burst into tears. It was the most disgusting taste I had ever imagined and I couldn't hold it back. The gig was up, I didn't have grown up tastes.

There are so many more, but my friend sent me a book "Letters for Emily" that I am reading...so I'll sign off for now. Please comment with your own sticky situations and we can laugh together.

4 comments:

D said...

Oh man, Chaun. Those are pretty funny. Mikayla's made me laugh because I was on the phone with you when she asked where babies came from...

I'm pretty sure I've had similar experiences with Grandma where I thought I was a lot more mature than I really was.

I can't think of any sticky situations now, but I'll sleep on it. Practically 10 days til I'm in Georgia!!! Whoo-hoo!!

Chellie said...

It took me a couple days, but I think I came up with one... On a Saturday morning, I was up and ready for the day and headed to the mall. I was there for a couple hours and then met up with a lot of family at Peter Piper Pizza for my niece's birthday party. I'm hanging out- having a good ol' time and then Damien says, "is that shirt supposed to be like that?" I looked down and explained to him, "yes..." It's a pointelle shirt that you wear a cami underneath and it has lace on the v-neck and more of a unfinished look to it..so I explain this to him and then he says, "so the tag is supposed to be on the outside?" So I felt for the tag and headed into the bathroom to turn my inside-out shirt the right way.

MiandMiksmom said...

Oh my gosh Chell, that's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I know that I have plenty of these...but nothing is coming to me at the moment! It must be because I am so freaking tired. I love this post! I will think more about and post again!