Sunday, November 25, 2007

The True Meaning of Christmas

It doesn't matter how often I put up the nativity scene. I put the stable in the background with Mary and Jesus standing in back of Baby Jesus in the manger. I put the three wisemen to one side and the shepherds and lamb on the other side. I put the angel on top... and it all looks beautiful. But then, something happens. My kids see it and immediately go and arrange it THEIR way. They put Baby Jesus in the middle and surround Him by everyone.
And you know what? I think that's how it should be. We should surround ourselves around Jesus. He is the perfect example of how to live our lives. It is because of Him that I have anything and everything that I have. If only I could always remember that. Life is easier when everything is focused on Him. So, maybe that's how the Nativity should be set up. Maybe it's okay to have everyone surrounding Jesus. It's a good reminder to me of the importance of letting Him be the focus of this approaching season. He WILL be at the center of my home this holiday, and always.

5 comments:

Jessi said...

"And a little child will lead them..." Such wisdom in a simple act!!

robin said...

chaun the little boys (john,jim,tom, mike,ryan) would do the same thing and then my boys followed suit. only brennen would take Jesus out of his manger and stick the manger on santa's nose. don't know for sure what he was trying to tell us there.

Chellie said...

cute! we love and thrive on the true meaning of christmas!

Nan said...

Have you seen the Fisher Price nativity scenes? No matter how high I put my nativity (which I made) it will get rearranged. So Fisher Price is sounding better every year. It is amazing to see the different ways a nativity scene can be arranged. Kids know best & it helps them remember what Christmas is all about.

MiandMiksmom said...

Nan, I totally have the Fisher Price nativity scene. I bought it last year after the preschool director had bought one for my classroom. It is the cutest thing ever and worth every penny....but it doesn't keep kids from rearranging the nice ones!