Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Day I Saved Someone's Life

After I completed Alli's list of 150 things, I thought I would tell the story behind some of the things I've done. This is the one I wanted to write about first:

I spent my first two years of college at Dixie. It was a junior college and I completed all of my required classes, but still needed more credits, so I loaded up my last year with fun classes: step aerobics, tennis, lifeguarding, weight training, first aid and CPR. I never thought any of these would be of much use, but it was sure fun.

Fast forward one year....I was then at the University of Utah and waiting tables at Marie Callender's. I had just served the turkey dinner to two white-haired little old ladies. We were required to check back within two minutes of serving a meal to make sure our customers were happy. It had been about 30 seconds, but I felt this overpowering need to check on these little ladies. I turned around and took one look at one of the ladies and knew there was trouble. It was just like a cartoon...the lady's face was turning purple right in front of my eyes, literally. She was choking and I knew what to do (thanks to First Aid at Dixie).

I was shaking and scared but I performed the Heimlich and saved her life. The piece of turkey lodged in her throat flew across two tables. The boss had called 911, but by the time the paramedics got there, they told me that they would have never made it and that I saved her life. The little lady took a five dollar bill and placed it in my apron and asked for boxes to take their dinners home.

As a side note, my manager later told me, "I'm glad it all worked out, but never do that again. It's not worth the law suit." I informed him about the Good Samaritan law, but he didn't care. I still felt good about it though.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

When I read your list I was wondering what the story was behind "I saved a life." Thanks for satisfying my curiousity. :)

Anonymous said...

You totally did the right thing. And thanks for telling me what to do if I choke on chicken noodle soup and I'm by myself. I might give it another go.

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool story. Reading it reminded me that I HAVE saved someone's life! Amen to the heimlich.

LC