Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ballet

It's a long story how this whole ballet teaching thing came about, but the HOA had contacted me about teaching lessons. My kids were NOT HAPPY at the studio I found here and so I decided to pull them out if I could get ten girls to take lessons. I ended up getting 16 girls, so I split them up into two classes and got it running. I got a call the day of our first class saying that the clubhouse was no longer available for use...long story. I couldn't cancel...moms had been buying ballet shoes and were totally planning on it, so after vacuuming the house that day, I thought, "Hey, I think there is room in here for eight girls. I had to call my mom a million times and take pictures with my phone to see if I was crazy, but I decided to run with it...
And guess what?
I love it!
It is seriously so much fun teaching these little girls. The age difference is crazy (3-7 in one class) but no one seems to mind. We do ballet for about 15 minutes and then spend 45 minutes doing the chicken dance, twirling like princesses, dancing with kleenex to snowflake songs and doing "'cross the floors to Hannah Montana."


Tonight Mikayla said to me, "Mom, your ballet is WAY BETTER than that other ballet." I'm not sure about that, but we have a lot more fun and I feel like I'm back in my element. I've missed dancing. I find myself pirouetting (or trying to) while stirring, kicking while doing dishes and getting on itunes every hour to upload some fun song that I had just thought of. It's great! It's good exercise; it's extra money, and my kids aren't sitting for two hours a week for $200 a month in a place that they don't love.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Look how beautiful you look. My kids would love a class like that. I think so many times, we miss the mark when teaching kids. They want things to be fun, and that sounds like what you are doing. Good for you!!!

Jessi said...

I've been wondering how that was going. What a fun thing to do! I could sign my kids up with you in a heartbeat!!!

And thank you SO much for the nice baby gifts! You're a gem. And I got the shoes delivered today. Good idea saving some money that way!!